Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Raspberry PI and other embedded fun

So I'm kicking myself yet again. I obviously wasn't one of the first to get ahold of a revision b Raspberry Pi. Or rev a for that matter. So, I looked into other projects. I came across the beagleboard, which looks interesting but I don't think it'll be what I want. Plus, the price is pretty far out of my range at the moment. When I saw the raspberry, my first thought was that I could get it up and running and see if I could get android ported to it. I've found a couple projects that have done similar, at least to the same processor it's running, so I don't think it would be too hard.

Then that got me thinking- if they are able to provide this for $35, assembled and all, then there's got to be something to it. Meaning it's something I can do as well, so it's become yet another of my projects. While I've come across other projects, such as the C-stick, and the 2 inch cube based computers CuBox, I don't think I want those, especially not at $200-$700 a pop either. but, something that can handle being hooked up to an older tv or via hdmi would be very very nice, and that could handle something like either a bluetooth or usb keyboard & mouse would be even nicer. Add in ethernet (either wifi or wired), and it would be perfect for my needs.

So right now, the first thing I've got to do is locate a chip that's not a nightmare to work with (soldering BGA isn't anywhere near as much fun as people would like you to believe) and single chips that aren't in the $200 range. On the bright side, I've already got a board house that I can use dirt cheap.

And if all else fails, I can just get one of the above and get on with what life I have left...

No comments:

Post a Comment